Tuesday, August 24, 2010

John Andre 1750-1780

Hail, sovereign love which first began,

The scheme to rescue fallen man!

Hail, matchless, free, eternal grace,

Which gave my soul a hiding place!

Enwrapt in thick Egyptian night,

And fond of darkness more than light!

Madly I ran the sinful race,

Secure without a hiding place!

…But thus the eternal counsel ran:

“Almighty love–arrest that man!”

I felt the arrows of distress,

And found I had no hiding place!

Indignant Justice stood in view;

To Sinai’s fiery mount I flew!

But Justice cried, with frowning face,

“This mountain is no hiding place!”

E’er long, a heavenly voice I heard,

And Mercy’s angel soon appeared;

He led me on with gentle pace,

To Jesus as my hiding place!

Should sevenfold storms of thunder roll,

And shake the earth from pole to pole;

No thunder bolt could daunt my face,

For Jesus is my hiding place!

On Him almighty vengeance fell,

That would have sunk a world to hell!

He bore it for the chosen race,

And thus became their hiding place!

A few more rolling suns at most,

Shall land me on fair Canaan’s coast;

Where I shall sing the song of grace,

And see my glorious Hiding Place!

No comments:

Post a Comment